Dear all

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it has been both really helpful and exceptionally interesting. My treatment with this patient following the first
few replies (John and Rege) was based on reducing inflammation and avoiding provoking activities. After 24hrs of minimal activity with Diclofenac
50mg (3 daily) symptoms were significantly improved (eg. able to prone lie with minimal pain and NO pins and needles or numbness, able to
stand and walk for approx. 5 mins with no neural signs again though still with pain (previously 1minute).

I feel more confident with this patient as I am able to progess activity with no increase in  neural signs- even though pain is still limiting to some
extent. However (R) ankle reflex is still absent- is this normal, and is it significant for anything if it doesn't resolve?

My progression of activity involved increasing amounts of sitting and walking with periods of offloading the spine to prevent further inflammation of
the S1 nerve. This has been combined with core stability and glute work, again in lying-sitting-standing.

I didn't take a classical McKensie approach (as I have little experience) but did use facets of it (as I understand it) by using pain-free positions
(eg. in prone, with side flexion away from painful side and progressing to neutral as pain allowed). I didn't feel comfortable moving the patient into
painful positions, especially repeatedly, because of the following reasons:

1)  Over the previous week, when he had been in extension positions with pain, the neural signs had always followed, and then stayed for
sometimes hours. It had been ISQ for 1 week. My approach was to calm the neural signs as a priority.

2) This seemed to indicate an inflammatory condition to me eg. inflammation of the S1 nerve was my rough hypothesis (although I was still
unsure about the L5/S1 disc). Avoiding inflammatory actions made good sense to me. I was quite unsure about the disc hypothesis in the
McKenzie approach, and read some of Mel Siffs comments on discs from previous postings, as well as Giffords editorial in Pain, and a chapter
one of his books.

The difference subjectively from the patients view was about 70% improvement over that 24hr period, and he was very happy. Even a week of
restricted activity had severely afftected his mood.

Over the weekend there has still been activity limitation by pain, as already mentioned, but I feel confident to progress with this. It is essentially in
the lower back, with some radiation through the S1 distribution on standing & walking (but no p&n or numbness). However I would still very much
like to hear any opinion on the relevance of the absent T-A reflex and any implications of this?

Thanks

Ben Fisher
Junior Physio
London, UK

PS I would like to repeat that I have found the responses all very helpful, and feel quite privileged to be able to access this advice. Thanks.