Steve,

***It is good to see critical thinking in a PT. One of the biggest lessons I
learnt while doing my masters is that one can mobilise and retrain all we
want, but if we don't stop the aggravating activity, then all may be in
vain.

But why does there appear to be so many discrepancies in clinical practice
that do not appear to be evidenced based.

***This is something that I find many people misunderstand. Evidence based
practice according to Shacklock is not just the best of the available
evidence (ie, RCT's, controlled trials etc), but also considers the best of
the patient and the best of one's clinical judgement and expertise. Only
when these three factors are considered that "best practice" can be offered
to the client.  I do not believe that we will ever just have several ways to
manage LBP, because individuals vary so greatly and we need to consider each
person that comes in. Remember that Physio is not just pure science but also
an art.

One of the phrases my clinical tutor uses again and again is "Physiotherapy
offers 2 things to patients: movement and education."

Henry***