my apologies for not being able to keep up with this interesting discussion
--my internet connection is quite sporadic, these days.

Werner Robl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For clarifying the situation of the city walls, this map from R. Sprandel,
Ivo..., : http://www.abaelard.de/walls.jpg

i have a photocopy of the Sprandel and it is certainly a substantial piece of
work.

but i had forgotten that he had this map --you should be careful, Werner,
someone is likely to steal a copy of that from your site and it could end up
on a Chartres site somewhere...

i will have to find the library's copy of Chedeville and refresh my memory of
what *his* map looks like.

Sprandel's looks like an interesting piece of work, though it's unfortunate
that it's just a sketch.

i see that i was wrong about where the 1180s wall goes from the Place des
Epars --there is a bit of that wall visible, somewhere, around Ste. Foi, but i
can't remember where, exactly.

i'm afraid that i'll have to quarrel a bit with his placement of the
"Ummauerung der inneren Stadt" north of the cathedral : he has the present-day
East-West street running *inside* that wall, and i don't see how that could be
possible, at all.

i also note that the "porta nova" ("13") is rather vaguely placed --though it
certainly was *some*where in that vacinity.

it is interesting to see a bit of "weiterer Mauren" splitting the "inneren
Stadt" into two parts --that belonging to the church and that belonging to the
count-- just north of the count's tower.

>Sorry for not having given the reference about Peter of Celle. It's from an
old necrology, first edited by J. Mabillon, Analecta 2, p. 557, reedited
somewhere in Bouquet, Recueil des historiens (tome ??).

but not repeated by Molinier ?

that's curious.

i don't seem to have access to Mabillon, but can check the RHF easily enough.

>Tangentially, I reached Chartres and the activities of Peter of Celle,
by working on a short biography....As there are some (minor) differences to
your own short biography of Peter,

Werner, what i'm doing is just tossing whatever i find on the web about any
given bishop into a page devoted to him on my site, with the hope that,
someday, i'll find the time to "clean those pages up" a bit.

i don't find it at all surprising that you might have a few "corrections" to a
1917 article in the Catholic encyclopedia, and i certainly welcome any
additions or corrections you might have to anything on my site, with
gratitude.

>I give the reference here:

http://www.abaelard.de/abaelard/070306petruscellensis.htm

a very creditable piece of work.

you obviously don't realise how rusty my German is.

>Otherwise, my knowledge about Chartres is very rudimentary (to my regret)

not nearly as much as my own is about Paris, etc.

best from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]