Werner Robl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thank you for these wonderful links about Notre-Dame.

http://www.learn.columbia.edu/notre-dame/index.html
http://www.learn.columbia.edu/notre-dame/Exterior%20pages/People_2.html
http://www.learn.columbia.edu/notre-dame/Exterior%20pages/People_4.html

Dear Werner,

yes, Stephen's got the makings of a very, very valuable site there (and the
financial backing via Columbian & the NEH to see the project through).

as best i can see, he's not responsible for that particular "People of
Notre-Dame" part of the site, but i'll write him regarding what appears to be
the error of attributing canonical status, at Paris, to the young Abelard.

>As regards Abelard as a "canon" of Notre-Dame, this interpretation derives
from Heloise's words, quoted by Abelard in HC: "te clericum atque
canonicum..."

mmmmm... this would seem to be rather clear, would it not ?

he was a canon of *some*place ?

>Abelard *perhaps* had acquired a canonry at Sens before 1111
(Geoffrey of Courlon, Chronicon Senonense: magister Petrus Abaulart,
canonicus primo maioris ecclesie Senonensis...)

again, rather clear.

i didn't realise that he had a strong connection with Sens --though i know
next to nothing about him, really.

>but he had never been a canon, i. e. minor or major prebendary,

this distinction between "minor" and "major" canons is not on which i've come
across before --it does not seem to appear in the Chartres documents of the
11th-13th centuries, unless i overlooked such a reference.

>of Notre-Dame, as well as a teacher of the "cathedral school" of Notre-Dame,
which was first founded as corporate institution in about 1127 (Stephen of
Senlis).

yes, i caught that "cathedral school" reference as well, though i was not sure
of how specifically anachronistic it was.

an even more careless error than making him a cathedral canon.

>Abelard's chair near Saint-Christophe on the Parvis Notre-Dame (outside the
cloister)

?

i'm not sure what you mean, here.  did they set up "chairs" (literally or
figuratively) at specific sites ?

>former chair of William of Champeaux, which he took over in 1113, had
primarily been linked to the archdeaconry of Paris

this would have been Stephen of Garland, at this date, would it not?

>and to a donation for poor students.

>In his function as master of philosophy and theology, he *perhaps* ranked as
"concanonicus" or "canonicus liberalis" of the chapter of
Notre-Dame. This was not a "beneficium" but a title of honour,

yes.

also unknown to me at Chartres, though there were, of course, _ex officio_
canonries in the cathedral chapter granted to the abbots of various Chartrain
monasteries (St. John's, St. Peter's, St. Cheron's, etc.) ; but whether or not
these involved a "beneficium" (which i take to mean an actual payment from the
_fisc_ (or whatever) of the chapter i've never been able to determine.

>which could  also been attributed to women (see Haildis the Rich and others
in Molinier, Notre-Dame obituary). Last year, I have written a major piece on
this (in German):

>http://www.abaelard.de/abaelard/040206intro.htm

a very substantial piece of work, from the look of it :

"Untersuchungen zur Topographie von Paris und zur Alltagsgeschichte des
Frühscholastikers zwischen 1100 und 1140"

i look forward to seeing what you have to say about Stephen of Garland's
chapel of St. Aignan.

many thanks, Werner.

best from here,

christopher