Dear Colleagues, a student came up with a question today that I had never thought of and don't know the answer to: Cluny was freed by its original charter from Duke William of all obligations to lay authority or lordship. Yet one may assume (no?) that some of the lands that Cluniac monasteries acquired housed knights with military obligations to their lords. How were these obligations carried out if Cluny had lordship of such properties? That is, were these knights obliged to give knight service to Cluny, or did they somehow bypass the abbey to serve some other parallel or higher lord? An enquiring student mind wants to know, and so do I.
thanks,
jw

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]