Thanks, Christopher, for all the information (map of the diocese of
Chartres, Merlet etc. etc.)

Thanks again for your explanations about urban development in Chartres. For
clarifying the situation of the city walls, this map from R. Sprandel,
Ivo..., may help (I hope, the link works): http://www.abaelard.de/walls.jpg

Sorry for not having given the reference about Peter of Celle. It's from an
old necrology, first edited by J. Mabillon, Analecta 2, p. 557, reedited
somewhere in Bouquet, Recueil des historiens (tome ??).

Tangentially, I reached Chartres and the activities of Peter of Celle, by
working on a short biography, part of an article about Peter of Celle and
his relationship (means painful distance) to his former teacher Peter
Abelard (and a second article about his quarrels with Heloise, abbess of the
Paraclete). As there are some (minor) differences to your own short
biography of Peter, I give the reference here:

http://www.abaelard.de/abaelard/070306petruscellensis.htm

> calling these walls Peter's work is stretching things a bit, it seems to
me.

Bishop Peter was a very old and sick man then and probably very handicapped
(he suffered severely from gout and arthritis), but at least, the tradition
told that his activities for Chartres (he solved a wine ban of the count,
too) let the affected people of Chartres kiss the cheeks of his dead body
during his burial ceremony... (ref. see above) But this may be a
hagiographic overstatement.

Otherwise, my knowledge about Chartres is very rudimentary (to my regret)

Yours, Werner

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]