> Sebastian (d. c. 300)  Sebastian was a victim of Diocletian's persecution.
>  Diocletian ordered S. shot to death
> with arrows.  Thus all the art of Sebastian looking like a porcupine.
But,
> despite the iconography, Sebastian failed to die of this treatment; he was
> miraculously revived and turned up at the palace again the next day.

If I am not mistaken, early depictions of Sebastian were innocent of this
dramatic moment; indeed, I am given to understand he was originally
portrayed as a bearded older man (perhaps more nearly resembling the
porcupine).  The enormous number of paintings of a youthful, virile, nearly
nude Sebastian are largely functions of Renaissance patrons' interests
(often attributed to painters' interests).  The presumption is that
Sebastian offered a rare opportunity for a sanctioned male nude prior to the
ascendence of Classical myths as subjects for artists (and for patrons'
commissions).

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]