John Dillon wrote:
>Alba (which I think of as an area north of Hadrian's wall but not including
>the Scottish highlands)

My impression is that in medieval times, some thought of Alba as inclduing
the Highlands, at least the Highlands as some define them. For example, the
following appears in the preface to Colman's Hymn:

"Blessing on Columcille, with the saints of Alba on the other side, on the
soul of glorious Adamnan, who imposed a law on the clans."

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]