>From: Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]>
>Natalis (6th cent.)  Natalis was an Irish monk.  He worked with Columcille,
>and is claimed as the founder of monasticism in northern Ireland.

I don't think any saint can be accurately identified as *the* founder of
monasticism anywhere in Ireland. Many of the earliest saints are associated
with monasteries, but it's difficult ot be sure how many of them were
historical figures.

There are at least two, possibly three, early figures named Naile. One was
the founder of Kilnamanagh in Co. Kilkenny (located in the south of
Ireland). This saint is associated with Senan, the founder of Iniscathaig
(Scattery Island). Supposedly, Senan was sent to study with Naile at
Kilnamanagh. Senan's dates are uncertain, but he is one of the earliest
Irish saints (possibly fifth century, if he existed). If Naile was Senan's
teacher, then Naile would be active in the century before Colum cille. Other
traditions have Naile dying in 563.

Another monastery associated with a St. Natalis or Naile was that on
Devenish (Ox Island) in Lough Erne, County Fermanagh. Supposedly he
succeeded the founder, Laisren, known as Molaise. Kinawley (Killenaule) (Co.
Fermanagh) and Derrylin (Co. Fermanagh) have associations with a St. Naile,
possibly the saint from nearby Devenish.

Inver (Inbhear Naile)(Co. Donegal) also has a St. Naile and local stories
connect this one with Colum cille (modern Donegal and Derry, once known as
Tirconnell, make up the region associated with his family historically; they
are Colum cille territory.) The stories are contradictory, though: on the
one hand, they identify Naile as the son of a king converted by Patrick (c.
450) and on the other, they associate him with Colum cille (supposedly born
521). Good example of the problems inherent in taking Irish saints' stories
at face value.

I'm not sure which St. Natalis was supposed to have cursed a village or
family with the result that they took turns being in wolf form. Makes me
think of the Mabinogi.

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]