Dear Jim,

The triad theme, like the unrecognized hero who
returns theme, is among humankind's most ancient.
Anthropologists and psychologists speculate and muse
ad infinitam over the very question you posed, a
question that is ultimately unanswerable (the only
sort worth asking in my not-so-humble opinion).
RE the hero who returns and is unrecognizable to his
closest, after I posted on that subject, I thought of
the most important one: the risen Christ.
Best,
MG