Problem with 'natural child' is that it acquires other meanings by the end
of the middle ages - I remember a postgrad getting very excited about
statistics for illegitimacy in C17 north Wales based on the number of
references to natural children in wills.

In medieval Wales there is no real concept of illegitimacy as such. What
matters is acknowledgement of paternity. All a man's acknowledged sons,
whoever their mothers, will share in his inheritance. (Though again, the
concept of inheritance is a tricky one in Welsh land law.) This one goes
right up to the inheritance of the crown. When Llywelyn ab Iorwerth of
Gwynedd, Llywelyn the Great, died in 1240, the kingdom was disputed between
his 'legitimate' son Dafydd, son of Joan (who was herself the illegitimate
daughter of King John of England) and Llywelyn's older but technically
illegitimate son Gruffydd.

This may or may not be of some interest in the context of northern France.
The church didn't like the Welsh practice - so I suppose what it does
suggest is that ecclesiastical concepts of illegitimacy didn't have it all
their own way.

Does anyone know whether the same was true in Brittany?

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray, in the foothills of God's golden county of Gwent
(Department of Humanities and Science
UWCN Caerleon Campus
PO Box 179
Newport NP18 3YG
Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
http://scarab.newport.ac.uk/mg
History at Newport: http://humanities.newport.ac.uk/HIST.html
Gwent County History Association web site:
http://gwent-county-history-association.newport.ac.uk
Cistercian Way: http://cistercian-way.newport.ac.uk

'How wonderful to have a Real Brain that could tell you things', said Pooh.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]