Liz and all:

I've been following this thread off and on, and I have been quiet so far,
because well, my cup's a bit full at the moment, but I must say that I get
a little tired of this divide between academe and grassroots that you and
others seem to be delineating here and in other posts.

1) It seems to me false to somehow presume that those of us in ivory towers
as it were, do not face similar (or different) discriminations in our own
careers and lives.  For example, in the U.S., if you have full time
employment, you are often not eligible for disability benefits, etc. that
help pay for caregivers, medications, etc., which is a sizable bite of
one's income if you do this all on your own.  And yes, I spend much of my
own time dealing with my impairment, that others who are not disabled,
don't, to have this life.  To say nothing about the still, at times,
inaccessible environment.  Most folks on the street or in the stores who
say crap to me could give one whit about me being a professor or not. I
also know many academics who are also activists. The two are not mutually
exclusive.

2) This is not to say that my experience mirrors someone with, for example,
developmental disabilities, working in McDonalds.  Nor do I claim that. Nor
am I suggesting that Supercrip stance of "Look at me, and all I've
accomplished, so should you."  But to suggest, even implicitly, that
somehow those of us who have this career, should somehow apologize for
having it, is not something I should do I think. If the "movement" is about
self determinism and emancipation, than I should have the right to choose
this life.

3) You are perhaps, right, Liz, in worrying about "academise" jargon,
however, I'd like to point out that in order for us to keep our positions,
however tenuous, there are "games" that we must also play.  And there's
audience too to consider: Mark Sherry's report on Hate Crimes, for
instance, was likely written the way it was so he could get a job after his
postdoc.  That report seems to me to have been written for the FBI and
similar organizations that are in positions of power to afford change,
which it seems to me, was how and who it should have been presented to.
Does that mean that "grassroots" organizations don't need that info? No,
but then again, most disabled people I'd bet, don't need a report with pie
charts to let them know that hate crimes exist! They, sorry, we, know that
already quite intimately.  It's the organizations like the FBI that don't
keep accurate stats on that kind of stuff who do.

Best,

Johnson

are now located at: