Just catching up.... thanks for all the discussion, BTW...

Patrick said:

> I'd say that the RDFS *contains* or *includes* a
> representation of a DCMI namespace, or XML namespace, but
> that it says a whole lot more that is not embodied in the
> namespace itself, since the namespace is simply a set of
> names and a representation would not embody more than an
> enumeration of those names, in some fashion.

[snip]

> Still, if one takes a rather loose view that dereferencing a
> namespace URI may provide a representation of the namespace,
> but not necessarily limited *only* to a representation of
> the namespace alone, then we're probably OK.

Wow... now that is subtle! But I think I like it....

Also...

> A namespace is nothing but a set of names. A namespace includes
> *nothing* about how those names are used. A namespace imparts
> no semantics whatsoever to the names residing in that namespace.

OK, but (I think) this paragraph is referring to "namespace" in the
sense of "XML Namespace".

I think my question yesterday was whether "DCMI namespace" as defined in
[1] was (perhaps unintentionally!) in fact being used to mean something
slightly different from an "XML namespace" i.e.

- a collection of _terms_ (rather than just names), where a term is a DC
element (not XML element), element refinement or encoding scheme (i.e.
not just a name-without-semantics but a concept-with-semantics )

On this basis, I think the "semantic surplus" in the RDF/XML
representation is much less of a problem if that RDF/XML document is
regarded as a representation of a "DCMI namespace".

Pete

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/2001/10/26/dcmi-namespace/