> From: Patrick Stickler <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: rdfs:isDefinedBy revisited
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> > XML Schemata are indeed closer to representing the XML
> > namespace.
>
> You appear to be equating "namespace" with "model" which
> is an error.
>
> Different models may all utilize the same terms from the same
> namespace, but with differing, even conflicting usage. A
> prime example of this are the conflicting uses of xhtml:html
> by the XHTML 1.0 strict/transitional versus frameset DTDs.
>
> A namespace is nothing but a set of names. A namespace includes
> *nothing* about how those names are used. A namespace imparts
> no semantics whatsoever to the names residing in that namespace.
>
> And I would go so far as to say that, technically, a namespace
> URI does not in fact denote the actual set of names, but is simply
> punctuation that differentiates a given set of names from other sets
> of names.

Yupp! That is in fact how XML Schema makes use of XML namespaces -
Any XML Schema targeting a given XML namespace can define
different sets of global/local names.
Isn't it that the XML namespace just comes in with qname/name
defaulting issues for attributes - is there any other functionality
REQUIRED by XML 1.0/1.1 ?
It seems to me that XML applications are free to realize
additional functionality using the XML namespace URI - as for
instance RDF is doing, by associating URIs for XML elements and
XML attributes via concatenation, when parsing RDF/XML to triple
sets. [The method of course does not allow to recover the namespace
URI from the RDF triple set in general - a different issue -]

> Thus, a URI used as a namespace URI may very well denote something
> else entirely, and dereferencing it returns a representation of
> that other thing, not of the namespace.
>
> That, at least, is what the XML Namespaces spec says.

Yupp! The notion of an XML Namespace allows for rather
pathological uses.
Don't think that's a bad thing - the existence of pathologies
doesn't block the existence of well behaved subClasses.

> Now, the TAG is discussing a revised/enhanced interpretation
> of the significance, meaning, and use of namespace URIs, but
> at the moment, anything more than the above is just personal
> preference and not defined in any standard. And I think it
> will be along time before any concensus on more than that is
> reached, so those producing standards which intersect with
> the namespace quagmire should use a great deal of caution about
> reading into what the existing specs say.

Think the moral is, that standards may change over time.
Is this new to humans?

Cheers,
rs