Oops! I hit the wrong button, and sent my one word reply by accident... sorry about that.

Apologies for the delay, Craig. I'd been thinking about your initial response, and now your more recent comments.

In relation to trust, I must say that so far members of the team I work with have been very welcoming... I think they're very keen to have another clinical psychologist, having managed with just one for quite some time. But yes, I'm aware that some people will not trust 'outsiders' easily, especially the people in receipt of the services we provide.  It seems that  professionals are often viewed with suspicion, and I think this is particularly true in many parts of the area I work in. So I am doubly unlikely to be trusted, as a proper outsider too, being foreign and all !  (Canadian)

As an aside, thinking about foreign-ness led me to ponder how there is sometimes a perception that people from the 'other side' of certain boundaries (county borders, rivers, tracks, etc) are 'other' and therefore inferior/hostile/whatever. Living in a foreign country myself, I thought about the importance of home and place in relation to identity. And then this led me to think about home/place/foreign-ness and identity in relation to mental health. Especially for people such as asylum seekers who live in the area where I work. What do list members think of the significance of this process of 'othering'. Can it be a good thing in relation to community cohesion? But only if you are an established/accepted member of that community. Any thoughts about how being away from one's home impacts on mental health?

Craig, in relation to your recent note about settling in Yarmouth, having children and joining a mother and  toddler group...
I'm aware that not living where I work (and I don't, I chose to remain living with my partner and near my friends and family about 20 miles away) is somewhat tricky in relation to community psychology. I am not a paid up, residential member of this community. How do other people find working somewhere that they don't live?

There were several things you said that made me think about my difference from the community that I work with, not least my level of education, professional job and salary, and the fact that I don't come from here, and don't live here. There is also the fact that, unlike many women of my age, I do not have children, and am unlikely to have them. Not even if they would help me to integrate better into the community! And of course, the tripe on the market is a no-go, because I'm vegetarian to boot! Although I come from a similar background (albeit in Canada) to many of the people I work with, I find myself now far removed, in many ways, by merit of what I've done in my life, and the choices I've made. Whilst, in my own mind, I know where I came from and don't feel too different in myself, I must appear very different to others who meet me now. I can't pretend I'm someone other than who I am, and so I hope that my difference and my skills are still something that I can use to others' advantage, rather than try to fit in and probably appear disingenuous.  I'd be interested to hear other's views on themselves in relation to the communities in which they work.

Best wishes to you all and a belated happy new year!

Wendy