I partly agree with you - that can do culture is quite appealing when you go
to the states, but it hardly makes for an empathetic culture or one that
allows people to explore all sides of their feelings and thoughts without
fear...

I think most disabled people i've met don't take on a victim mentality -
that remains one of those prejudices in the general population and in
popular culture played many times over in films about disability were a an
able-bodied person encourages the disabled person into positive thinking -
scent of a woman comes to mind as just one of those annoying movies. And the
social model has freed many people from the overwhelming pressures of
society that frustrated them in attempting to lead their life.

Most disabled people I've found are optimistic and more balanced than their
able-bodied peers who love nothing better than watching self-indulgent
negativity on tap such as Ally McBeal and reading Bridget Jones's diary etc
which revelsin the victim mentality about the world and life in general.

I think my general argument is that a balance needs to be found - those
feelings deemed negative can ironically, sometimes be more of a creative
force then simply thinking postively - the famous psychotherpist anthony
storr was quite keen on epxloring these areas.

Furthermore, I was arguing that people should be allowed to feel things
without them being forced into thinking positively - or acan do if you want
to culturewhich often leads to feelings of self-hatred and competitive
amongst disabled people who either fail or win.

Itis often the same old story heard in counselling - things get buried  only
to come up later because they were ignored, seen as negative and ultimately
denied causing the anger,resentment and defeated feelingsthat you talk about
when the can do attitude does not deliver or people cannot live up to it.

Glenn

Dr Glenn Smith,
Research Fellow,
London.