Anton Ervynck presented a very interesting paper at the recent ICAZ
conference regarding an assemblage that sounds very similar to yours. The
material was from late medieval Malines (Belgium) and was also
(convincingly) interpreted as being related to oil extraction.

You could try contacting Anton directly:   [log in to unmask]

cheers
Rob

At 13:03 4/9/2003 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>hello,
>I have also a 'special deposit' from the gallo-roman town of Reims. It is
>only composed of  mandibules (and maxillaires and fragment of skull) of
>bos taurus. There are broken in long and on the posterior end. The
>incisive end is not présent. marks of cooking / carbonisation are found on
>the anterior part of the premolar zone.
>In a second sample, there are also mandibules of pigs.
>For me, it is an artisanal deposit (a lot of selected bones !), from the
>butchering chain. Its seem to me that it could be an extraction of oil.
>What do you think of that ?
>Do you know others examples of such samples ? published ?
>thanks
>

>J.H. Yvinec
>Ingénieur de recherche à l'INRAP
>Laboratoire d'Archéozoologie de Compiègne
>Centre de Recherche Archéologique de la Vallée de l'Oise
>21 rue des Cordeliers 60200 Compiègne
>Tel Fax 03 44 23 28 10

Robert Symmons
AHOB