Dear Eva,
What about beavers? There were some good examples of beaver bones with cut
marks at Iron Age Haddenham - see:
Evans, C. and D. Serjeantson (1988). “The backwater economy of a fen-edge
community in the Iron Age: the Upper Delphs, Haddenham.” Antiquity 62(235): 360-
70.
The full report on Haddenham is in press, but does not add much detail to the
interim so far as the beavers are concerned.
Best wishes
Dale

> --On 17 June 2003 09:29 +0100 Eva Fairnell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> > Dear list members
> >
> > For my thesis, I am gathering data on fur-bearing animals within the
> UK.
> > I am interested in what species we have been skinning, processing or
> > perhaps importing and using for fur, and when and where this has
> taken
> > place. My target species include dog, cat, wolf, fox, badger,
> mustelids,
> > hare, rabbit, squirrel, seal, bear.
> > I am in the process of systematically searching various journals for
> any
> > bone reports that include fur-bearing species. I am recording presence
> of
> > relevant native and non-native species, and any data on the elements
> and
> > knife marks found.
> > I would be very grateful and  interested to hear about any data list
> > members know about, published or unpublished, regarding sites and
> species
> > where there seems to be evidence of processing and/or the use of fur,
> at
> > whatever scale and at any time period. If anyone can think of any
> less
> > obvious species I may have overlooked, please also let me know.
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Eva
> >
> > Eva Fairnell
> > MSc in Zooarchaeology student at the University of York

Dale Serjeantson
Visiting Research Fellow
Department of Archaeology
University of  Southampton