Dear list members

For my thesis, I am gathering data on fur-bearing animals within the UK. I am interested in what species we have been skinning, processing or perhaps importing and using for fur, and when and where this has taken place. My target species include dog, cat, wolf, fox, badger, mustelids, hare, rabbit, squirrel, seal, bear.

I am in the process of systematically searching various journals for any bone reports that include fur-bearing species. I am recording presence of relevant native and non-native species, and any data on the elements and knife marks found.

I would be very grateful and  interested to hear about any data list members know about, published or unpublished, regarding sites and species where there seems to be evidence of processing and/or the use of fur, at whatever scale and at any time period. If anyone can think of any less obvious species I may have overlooked, please also let me know.

Many thanks

Eva

Eva Fairnell
MSc in Zooarchaeology student at the University of York