Julia,

I have collected data on microhardness of bone from various anatomical
locations. Microhardness is a useful 'probe' for local variations in bone
mechanics but also gives a measure of the ability of a material to resist
abrasive wear. Briefly, in bird bones you find that bone at the
mid-diaphysis is 'harder' than toward the epiphyses. I'm pretty sure that
similar trends have been observed in mammalian bone too. I would have
thought that variations in cortical thickness and hardness interact to
determine the rate of bone degradation.

You can find my original paper on bone hardness at:
http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/abstract/198/1/209

Rgds,

Richard Bonser

Dr R.H.C. Bonser
Lecturer in Biomimetics
Centre for Biomimetics
School of Construction Management and Engineering
The University of Reading
Engineering Building
Whiteknights
Reading, RG6 6AY