-----Original Message-----
From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tommy Tyrberg
Sent: 20 November 2003 18:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] excarnations and burial mounds and eagle owl

According to James Fisher (The Shell Bird Book, 1966 p. 324) there are:
"Records (possibly native) VIII-XI c." and Andrew C. Kitchener says in
"Species History in Scotland" (1998) that the Eagle Owl is mentioned in
historical accounts. However I don't know what these claims are based
on.

However it would be strange if the Eagle Owl hadn't occurred in the
British Isles since the Pleistocene. It is a very adaptable and
eurytopic species and by no means an extreme wilderness bird. As a
matter of fact it prefers a mixture of forest and cultivated land and if
left in peace will nest and forage quite close to human habitations, and
even on the outskirt of towns. As a matter of fact I think it would do
quite well if introduced to Northern England or Scotland today.

Tommy Tyrberg

 >I was surprised to see that Peter Andrews has identified Eagle Owl as
the  >predator at the site of Longstone Edge. The eagle owl has not been
recorded in  >the British Isles since the last glaciation, according to
Harrison (History of  >the Birds of Britain). Is it a Pleistocene site?