This is a parallel with the problem of the absence of convincing records of
grain pests from post-Roman pre-Normal deposits in Britain. I think we have
to take a pragmatic pseudo-statistical approach and say that as the grain
pests are common when they are present, so they were probably at most
insignificant when not found. Can't really argue that for the much rarer
remains of rats, though.

Harry Kenward.

--
****PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER****
Harry Kenward, Department of Archaeology, The King's Manor, University of