Dear colleagues,

I am trying to put together a brief review of zoo-archaeological and modern ethnographic examples of selection of well defined/specific parts of the body of animals for sacrifice/ritual (NOT for craft or industrial purposes).

The ones that I have so far include the right hind limbs of caprines at the Archaic period Temple of Apollo (Cyprus); right forelimbs of caprines at Iron Age Tell Qiri, Israel; a cattle skull assemblage at Bronze Age Irthlingborough in England; burnt Mycenean bones from the Palace of Nestor (Isaakidou et al.)and several examples of preference for cervid hind limbs at Castle sites in England (supposedly offered to the "Lords of the Castle").

Does anyone know of a/some recently published examples of these kinds of occurrences?

Any help would be very much appreciated !

Thanks,

simon davis

Instituto Portugues de Arqueologia
Avenida da India 136