Hello all,

I have recently completely the analysis of a late eighteenth to
mid-nineteenth-century
farmstead in central Kentucky, USA. A number of features have been
excavated, and most, if
not all, are thought to have been deposited by the wealthy landowner and
family.

Here is my dilemma: in an historic context such as this (ca. 1825), if I
have geese and turkey identified
in the zooarchaeological record, should these be interpreted as being wild
or domesticated? I know
that turkeys were first domesticated in the New World, but am unsure if
this would hold true for any
found in an historic context. And what about geese?

What makes this situation interesting is that, at this site,
the features have a mean ceramic date of 1825, but we have
an 1849 estate bill of sale (so approx. 25 years later) that lists geese
and turkey (type not specified for either) as being sold at
auction from this property. Would these animals be interpreted
as wild or domesticated? I think it is feasible for Canadian geese to be on
a person's
property, and potentially caught and sold as a belonging, without actually
being
domesticated. I have seen Canadian geese on a number of farm properties,
but they were not put there by the landowners, they were merely passing
through for the winter.

I am not sure exactly how to deal with this for interpretative purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you are able to send my way!

Tanya Peres

Tanya M. Peres, PhD, RPA
Assistant Director
Zooarchaeologist