I have recently installed the Browsealoud plugin.  This software works
with IE.  When you visit a Web site which has the Browsealoud server
installed it will speak the text of the Web page.

The software is available at
http://www.browsealoud.com/

The plugin is free - the server costs (of the order of £1000 for the
first year and about half this for following years).

I wondered if this might be of interest.  For example it might be easier
to go down this route rather than having dedicated PCs with
accessibility aids.

I guess that in order for it to be effective, the server software would
have to be deployed widely.  Possibly there could be a role for CHEST to
negotiate a deal, if it was felt to be useful.

I guess the alternatives are tools such as PWWebspeak, IBM Home Page
Reader, etc.

1 pwWebSpeak <http://www.soundlinks.com/pwgen.htm>
If you are a visually impaired individual, or are using the software to
evaluate sites for accessibility, you may use the software freely, but
will not be entitled to support.
If you require the software for use with visually impaired clients and
need training or support, then you should register it by purchasing the
user licence(s) you need.
The price per user-licence, for personal or educational use, is 95.00
pounds, plus VAT where applicable. Ask us about reductions for multiple
licences.

2 IBM Home Page Reader <http://www-3.ibm.com/able/hpr.html>
Costs $149

Thoughts?