Laurence Cornford wrote:

> I've got to agree with Matt (and not just because he's a colleague).
> Ever since this strand started I've been wondering why you would want
> to do this? People who want or need to have web pages read to them
> will probably already have a system set up on their computer to do
> that.

There is a context in which you would want web pages read out:
when you are accessing the pages by telephone.

That's why 5 years ago a couple of ESPRIT research projects
worked out a way to do that, something they now call Audiotex.
See http://www.pvl.at/

--
Dr. David R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, School of
Management and Economics, Belfast BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK)