To do this properly requires reversing the normal publication
process. Too often people continue to write a document for
printing on paper (e.g. a student handbook) and only when it is
finished think of publishing it on the WWW (leaving someone with
the nasty job of converting a Word document with no styles into
HTML). Instead, we need systems in which publishing is first for
the web, and you then just click on a button to run a program to
convert it into output for printing.

Incidentally, be wary of counting something as out of date. I get
emails from around the world praising pages I wrote for my
lecture notes 7 years ago. It turns out that these pages keep
coming at the top of Google seaches, because they have so many
citations (links) to them. A number of research collaborators and
potential Ph.D. students first contacted me because an 'out of
date' page interested them. Since they contact me directly,
rather than going through a central communications office, and
their market researchers do not send round questionaires asking
about this, they probably count these pages as vanity publishing.

--
Dr. David R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, School of
Management and Economics, Belfast BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK)