Alison,

It is a very difficult issue to address.

We are moving away from content publishing directly for other departments to
building and supporting tools to enable departments to do this directly
themselves.

We have developed lots of web-based systems to automate the publishing
process, so that staff with content responsibility can do just that and now
worry about issues, such as where the content should go, HTML and FTP issues
etc.  Making this process as simple as possible has enabled us to develop
some quite sophisticated websites with minimal author/departmental
interaction.

We have also developed our own in house content management system, which we
are in the process of developing and rolling out to departments.  This
allows staff to flag when content should be updated and removed from the web
which will be enforced - i.e. if its out of date it will be removed, authors
will get plenty of automatic reminders before this happens though.  It also
allows us to have a high level overview of when content needs updating.

Also having the backing of senior management helps as they can reinforce
through their communications channels the need to have accurate and
up-to-date information on the website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Gareth