This list now has around 720 members, from FE/HE, suppliers, etc.

S. Ambrose wrote
Richard, you asked:

>> We are currently evaluating a VLE product called moodle..I would be
>> greatful for any thoughts/experience/warnings/commendations on this!

>I am not familiar with moodle but when I was evaluating VLEs I wanted
to be satisfied that the product could:
<snip>

Another thing to remember Richard that every VLE has probably been
evaluated numerous times again and again and again (I am guilty of it as
much as the next person) by numerous people, organisations, academic
research...

One thing that comes out of these is that there is no perfect VLE to
meet all your needs (well there is but it would cost you a million and
two years to develop) as everyone has different needs and no VLE can
meet all your needs; they have to compromise in how they work and what
features they offer.

One thing you may want to consider is rather than spend time evaluating
a VLE why not just use the VLE Wiltshire College already has and spend
the time working out how to use the VLE effectively with students in
order to improve the learning process.

Richard also wrote
>>We are shortly to launch an online HNC MultiMedia.

It might be quicker and more useful to find out if there is already an
online HNC multimedia and see which VLE they are using and if it is been
successful?

One of the colleges within the WCC is currently using a VLE to support
students on their HNC Multi-Media/New Media course in quite an
innovative way.

I am not saying that there is no value in evaluating a VLE, but is there
value in every lecturer in the country evaluating every VLE?

James Clay
Director Western Colleges Consortium
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.westerncc.ac.uk