Good to see work on the evaluation of online learning.

The National ICT Research Centre is currently involved in several projects
that deliver or support learning using VLEs supplemented by individual
mobile devices, i.e. handheld computers and mobile 'phones supporting WAP
and SMS.

These projects involve diverse groups of learners including undergraduate
students, lifelong learners, people in remote rural areas.

Each project needs evaluation and this evaluation, particularly in seeking
feedback and reflection from the learners, needs we feel, to be appropriate
(the the ethos of the learners, the learning and the technology), efficient,
authentic, quick and cheap.

The problems of accessing student feedback on the learning experience on
projects outside the confines of sedentary course-based learning are
compounded by the difficulty that many learners will have in exposing their
feelings, achievements, goals and abilities and in bridging the potential
cultural gaps between themselves and evaluators.

We're worried that the repertoire of conventional evaluation techniques eg
f2f interviews, questionnaires, f2f focus groups may not be entirely
adequate and we're currently looking at how existing techniques can be
adapted to continuously evolving communities and technologies.

I'd be interested in hearing how everyone else tackles evaluation in these
circumstances and what they feel about the issues.

Regards,

John Traxler

National ICT Research Centre
Priorslee Campus