'Using VLEs to Support Learning & Assessment'
Date:         Wednesday, November 19th 2003
Time:         10:00 a.m.  -  4:00 p.m.
Venue:      Birchwood House, Cardiff University, Wales

WORKSHOP AIMS
Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) are now commonly used in
Higher Education to deliver interactive teaching and learning resources
for students. However, many academics are still unfamiliar with the
concept of a VLE and how to develop resources to support their face to
face teaching activities.

This workshop will review VLE products commonly used within Higher
Education institutions and discuss the issues relating to their
successful adoption. Participants will also be introduced to some of
the ways in  which VLEs can be used to support teaching and learning
activities. One example will be use of Computer Assisted Assessment.
Further examples of use relevant the physical sciences community will
also be demonstrated.

By the end of the workshop participants will have been introduced to:

          The concept of VLEs and available products
          Issues relating to the successful adoption of a VLE
          Use of computer assisted assessment
          Examples of good practice for teaching and learning activities

DRAFT PROGRAMME

10.00 Registration and coffee

10.30 Introduction

10.45 Using WebCT to Teach
Anne Cunningham, University of Sunderland,

11.15 "Virtual Learning - Real Assessment - Can They Co-Exist?"
Dick Bacon, LTSN Physical Sciences, Surrey University,
Virtual learning environments provided a plethora of facilities that
can assist aspects of our courses. The integration of student
assessment can lead to a reduction in our work load, and can even
promote learning by our students. Methods for achieving such
integration will be discussed and illustrated, and factors affecting
the long term efficiency of such methods will be considered.

11.45 Delivering CAA through a VLE
Keith Adams, University of Ulster,

12.15 Lunch
13.30 Practical BlackBoard - How To Survive a VLE ?
Dr Ewan W MacArthur, University of Paisley
Given that we experience pressure in this day and age to move to a
suitable technological platform, i.e. we are expected to use a VLE, how
do you get there and still manage all the other balls that are in the
air.

I propose to outline a strategy that worked for me.  It allowed me to
move traditional modules to a VLE and still stay sane.  Fortunately,
along the way I had to undergo a transformation, and re-learned a
number of things I had forgotten.

I will discuss some issue that have arisen and some issues that are
still to be resolved as well as presenting some results of evaluations
that have accompanied two of my modules and hopefully can show at
least one of the sites.

14.00 Off the Shelf and Online: Integrating a PDP scheme into a VLE
Brian Murphy, Manchester Metropolitan University,

14.30 Computer Aided Assessment and Online Learning using WebCT
Mike Cole, Manchester Metropolitan University

15.00 Closing discussion and Tea

There is NO registration fee for this workshop for those working in UK
HE and lunch and refreshments will be provided.

Register by contacting Arlene Cope  at : [log in to unmask]  or  on our
website at:   www.physsci.ltsn.ac.uk

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Arlene Cope
Centre Administrator
LTSN Physical Sciences Centre
University of Hull
Tel: 01482 465418  Fax: 01482 465418

Geoff Minshull
Direct Learn Training
Online services to education, project management and evaluation, VLEs,
deafness/disability consultancy, online conferencing
Web:   http://www.directlearn.co.uk/ - last updated 31.01.03
Tel:   00 34 972 294 202

Sign up for the 'Supporting Deaf People 2004' conference from the 15th of
November 2003.