Laura,
My name is Richard Brown -  Bradford College , we run a Distance Learning
Program for Part - Time  students, in Metallurgy and Materials.

We are using Web Ct , and offer this to students who do not attend at
College ( we also run the same programs at College - N/C, HNC/ HND as Day /
evening / flexible attendence).

Using the VLE helps a great deal, but its the support offered by the staff
to improve the learning that takes  place ( can ) , eg lots of contact /
support.

The use of a tutorial system works -  use of phone  , in the main - and use
of student Log / Diary - which is reflective, helps the learner, and allows
the staff to support the process.

Development of study skills and flexible time table for  staff time helps.

In our case the part time students are often supported in work, by a
Industrial Mentor  and receive local support, from a Tutor.

The leaning and assessment need to be flexible and meet the needs and
requirement of the learner, and uses the work based learning.

Our experience of transferring the paper based learning and assessment - it
possibly needs to be changed.
Hope this helps

Richard

Richard SA Brown