We are currently working on a GPS-based approach to surveys of travel- and
activity patterns, where the respondents itinary during the week will be
registered by a GPS-device carried by each individual respondent. The idea
of a full record of locations visited, the routes in between and the
geographical allocation of time around the clock is very promising.
Ongoing questioning based on location or movement criteria can also be added
and will allow for the collection of data very similar to a ”traditional”
travel survey also (purposes, modes etc.).

Few seems to have made experiences in this approach. At the moment we are
trying to find the ones around. If anyone could refer us to projects or
publications on the subject we would be most gratefull!

Thank you very much - sincerely

Associate Professor Henrik Harder Hovgesen and
Thomas S. Nielsen, Aalborg University, Denmark

Please contact:

Thomas Sick Nielsen
Adjunkt, Ph.D., cand.techn.soc.
Aalborg University, Dept. of Development and Planning
Fibigerstraede 11, DK-9220 Aalborg East
Home: +45 39 20 28 49, Cell phone: +45 26 200 360
Email: [log in to unmask]

or

Henrik Harder Hovgesen
Associate Professor
M.A. in Archictecture
HDO Graduate Diploma in Business Administration

Research Group for Urban Planning & Development
Urban and Transport Planning Division
Department of Development & Planning
Aalborg University, Inst. 20
Fibigerstraede 11, room 101b