There are many strategies that can be used to alleviate urban flooding.

On a large scale basis, big detention ponds are certainly one way of
achieveing this. These ponds may be either "dry" (ie fully draining after
the storm) or wet detention ponds. Another form is aquifer recharge and
re-use (being used in those locailities that have the luxury of an
underground aquifer to tap into - like Adelaide in South Australia).

On a smaller scale, the installation of multiple on-site management devices
which replicates the pre-development storm discharge on each individual
block (say when each block is undergoing redevelopment) is another way. This
nessesarily requires regional co-ordination. This is the process being
adopted in suburban local council's in Sydney and many other parts of urban
Australia. Some examples include domestic rainwater tanks with an internal
feedline to internal water use, also on-site detention tanks, etc.

A project has been developed in Sydney called 'water Sensitive Urban
Design';  More information see the web site:   www.wsud.org
<http://www.wsud.org>  . I hope this helps.

Mark Sabolch
Group Leader Environmental Engineering