From: Peter W. Draper [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 December 2003 14:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Failure on installing starjava from software store

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Rankin, SE (Stephen) wrote:

> I got the same error just now for STARJAVA,
>
> Unpacking files from the archive.
>
> storeform2ahdlr: xmalloc: execute_cmd.c:510: cannot allocate 159771854
bytes
> (0
> bytes allocated)
>
> execute_cmd.c is part on bash I think. We could probably try a different
> shell to see if we get the same result.

Hi Steve,

"ash" and "ksh" seem to work under Linux:

   % ash starjava_archive
   % ksh starjava_archive

still get big (200Mb+), but you don't see the sub-shell memory issue that
Bash has. Perhaps someone with a less well configured machine should try
this before it becomes standard advice.

Ash is a Bourne Shell (like the scripts) so we should probably recommend
that for best compatibility.

Peter.