On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Mark Taylor wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Giaretta, DL (David) wrote:
>
> > Surely it can be done in a few lines of Perl - Al?
>
> With both projects, that was my attitude to start with (I'm a bit
> of a reformed Perl enthusiast), but heavy use of regular expressions
> turns out to be a pretty bad tool for doing this sort of parsing -
> they work OK for 95% of the input but get really really nasty
> when you try to push close to 100%.  Could be just my insufficient

What makes it more tractable in this case is that for our purposes you'd
only have to handle #include, #define and #if (and #ifdef, #else, etc),
and substitutions on #if lines, so you don't actually have to lex the
code at all.

So maybe a large few lines of Perl.

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     [log in to unmask]