On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Norman Gray wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Peter W. Draper wrote:
>
> > > Similarly, since the files par_par (for example) are always invoked as
> > > PAR_PAR, is there any reason why they're not installed as such?
> >
> > This follows from FORTRAN itself being a case-insensive language and VMS
> > having a case-insensitive file system, so include files back then were
> > 'PAR_PAR' not 'par_par' (well almost, the include files were located using
> > symbols, a bit like aliases, that you created using package commands like
> > star_dev etc.).
>
> Ah right -- that makes a lot of sense.  I remember symbols, and the
> delights of logical names.  Ah, memory....
>
> What I take from that is that
>
>   - the package commands like star_dev are in fact redundant, since
>     compilers have -I flags, and since one original point of them
>     was to give a familiar feeling to folk migrating from VMS; and
>
>   - I should check in the _PAR, _ERR and (fio) _CMN files as upper-case,
>     or case-swap on installation those files which are generated with
>     lowercase names.
>
> Is that correct?

More or less, the case issue could go either way (since the thing to be
included is actually named in a string, so case is allowed), just as long
as its consistently one or the other (to avoid the OS X issues if nothing
else). Choose the one that's least work I'd say.

> > Initially when we first moved to UNIX Dave Terrett produced SPT (see
> > SUN/111) which editted include file statements to the full file names, but
> > we found the necessity to do this a burden, so the current system was
> > adopted, which does not rely on any special features of the compiler, just
> > the operating system having something like a copy/link command.
>
> I appreciate the goal -- it depends whether we believe that -I is a
> compiler special feature.  If it turned out to be a problem in fact,
> it would be rather easy at configure time to detect whether -I was
> supported and generate the required local links if not.

OK, sounds reassuring.

> > > Are there any other oddnesses which have been gnawing away at folk?
> > > This is the time to sort them out.
> >
> > Just one further point. If you go ahead and consolidate all the
> > development tweaks, remember that we do have a lot of people who use these
> > now and successfully develop software, even under this incredible burdon,
> > it's a pain to them if you change things (for change sake).
>
> I appreciate this, and I will keep reminding myself of it, but I'm not
> changing things for the sake of it.  Putting things into the repository
> and autoconfing them, we have an opportunity to `unweird' the software
> set, by removing a variety of small features which are there for mostly
> historical reasons.
>
> The aim is to make things easier for everyone, including those who
> haven't started working with the software yet.  Look at configure.ac
> and Makefile.am in messgen -- I hope this is relatively inviting!

Right I will look, but it may take a while as I'm about to go offline
while they paint my room... Not expecting to be properly back (i.e.
access to my PC) up until Monday.

Cheers,

Peter.