Peter,

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Peter W. Draper wrote:

> that all sounds like very useful advice, if I ever (or JAC) get back to
> OSX. One further thought I had after reading your messages yesterday is
> that perhaps OSX looks more Solaris (System V) like than Linux-like, in
> which case I may have got better service working from the Solaris variant,
> rather than the Linux one (saw gcc, thought Linux was a good starting
> point)...

I get confused at all this.  I thought that SunOS 1-4 was very BSD-ish,
and that it started to get SYSV-ish features with SunOS5/Solaris.  Linux,
I thought, wasn't anything in particular, but was more SYSV-ish than not.
OS X, however, is pure 4.4BSD/FreeBSD.  Thus the Solaris version might
indeed be a better place to start from, simply because it's BSD-ish SunOS,
rather than because it's SYSV-ish Solaris.  I'm not sure if the diagram
on <http://www.levenez.com/unix/> backs this up or not!

Just by the way, to dispel some social anxiety, do you know whether One
is supposed to pronounce it `sys-vee', `sys-five' or `system-five' --
I worry about these things.  I do know it's supposed to be `oh-ess-ten'
rather than `oh-ess-ex'.  Stop laughing!  I'm neurotic.

Norman

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     [log in to unmask]