Hej Andreas!

we have experience with both linux based processing boxes, and with
macs (G4 and G5) running osx, and recently with panther.

my comments regarding processing speed would be that the dual processor
isn't utilised by matlab, nor is the 64bit architecture, but the macs
are fast. another issue re speed, is that running the stats part of
spm, it seems that disk access issues play a large role in speed, such
that our G4 with dual 1.4GHz runs almost as fast as our G5 with dual
2.0GHz, when accessing data on a nfs raid disk.

Regarding stability, i would issue a word of warning regarding panther
and matlab. the patch to allow r13 to run is quite new, and we have had
quite a few jobs crash (which wasn't the case on 10.2.1). at this stage
we are in the midst of working out the conditions under which this
happens, but panther and matlab definitely exhibit more issues than
jaguar did. hopefully all this is just teething pains, and things will
run smoothly soon.

i guess the bottom line is that if you want a solution that will be
probelem free now, i would warn you off the mac solution, despite the
fact that we are trying to go that way ourselves. perhaps a dual
platform solution is always the best?

hope that was of some help

kind regards

tony

On 20/11/2003, at 11:54 PM, Andreas Roepstorff wrote:

> Dear SPM users,
> We are currently upgrading our spm analysis system, and the new mac G5
> machines  could be an attractive solution at least on one of our
> setups. However, I have not been able to find any benchmarks on the
> processing speeds. It seems that at present, Matlab is not able to
> utilise a dual processor and/or the 64 bit architecture. Is that a
> wrong impression?
> Does anyone have experience with running SPM on a Mac G5 computer
> using Panther compared with running it on a fast linux based machine?
> Are there reasons, speedwise or in terms of stability, to prefer one
> to the other? I hope someone on the list has some experiences to
> share.
> Best greetings
> andreas
>

> Andreas Roepstorff
> Centre for Functionally Integrative Neuroscience. Aarhus University
> Building 30, AKH, Nørrebrogade 44, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
> [log in to unmask], +45 8949 3030
> http://www.pet.au.dk/~andreas/index.htm

----------------------------
Tony Waites, PhD