Dear all,

I have read many useful messages regarding rfx masking issues in the archives, but as there are a number of options described for doing this (and most apply to between-groups analyses), I wondered what the current (SPM2) preferred method would be for the following:

I want to take 2 contrasts per subject (A > baseline; B > baseline) to the 2nd level and then mask them exclusively in order to assess significant within-group (Basic Models 1-sample t-tests) activations exclusive to A > baseline/B > baseline.

a) Is there a consensus as to the best way of doing it?

b) Is THIS one correct way of doing it?: Do 2nd-level contrasts (A > baseline; B > baseline) and use ImCalc with this function (i1-1).*(-1) to produce exclusive masks at the p-threshold chosen in displaying the contrasts. Use these masks in the "explicit masking" option when estimating A > baseline (use B > baseline mask) and B > baseline (use A > baseline mask).

Many thanks and best wishes,

Tobias Egner