Hello-

Short question: Is there any clear evidence that using a fiducial marker
that shows up on the T2* is not a wise idea?

Long winded version: We often use a fiducial marker to ensure we never
left-right flip an image. I recently used a marker that shows up in the EPI
T2* scans as well as in the T1 anatomical scans. Image preprocessing appears
to proceed smoothly - the realignment and normalization look very sharp.

However, I notice that the EPI unwarping image that SPM2 generates clearly
includes the marker in its map. This sounds potentially bad, as the marker
will not move when the head moves.

I am including a image of the original EPI image, the undistortion map
generated by SPM and the undistroted image:
 http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/cr1/unwarp.gif

I masked the fiducial in a single individuals scan and there was no
difference in statistical results (my measure was how many voxels survived
FWE corrected analysis, resulting 1600 when the fiducial was included and
1603 when it was masked).

Based on this, I am tempted to continue using this fiducial marker. However,
I recognise that most of people I have tested so far have kept their heads
very still, and I am wondering if I should be concerned when I test people
who move their heads a bit more.

-chris