From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David O'Sullivan
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 6:03 PM
Subject: Bit-flipping model of culture

At 02:40 PM 3/30/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> ...[Missing out on the
> funding is karma coming after me... ironically, I have been
> somewhat critical of Sugarscape myself, specifically the
> 'bit-flipping' model of culture...]

I'd be interested in criticisms of the 'bit-flipping' model of culture.
Do you have any papers on this, or care to discuss it here?  At a
certain level of abstraction it seems to me to work pretty well -- what
are the problems you see with it?

Thanks,

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy

Mike,
I will get out of my depth very quickly here, so I'll immediately say that I think you're right: the model is OK at a certain level of abstraction.  I just think that the level of abstraction happens to be very, very high.

Representing a culture as a collection of discrete yes/no views that may be individually switched on or off, that are unrelated to one another and also are more or less unrelated to behavior just seems way over-simplified.  My unease is also due in part to being unconvinced by the concept of the meme, which after all is undefined in detail, and also non-empirical in any meaningful sense.

However, as I say, I'm out of my depth here... I'd be happy to learn more from an informed discussion of cultural bit-flipping and memes among others on the list!

My criticism in print is along the lines of that above -- just that it's a rather impoverished representation of culture, and is made (I'm afraid) rather in passing.  It appeared in this paper

O'Sullivan D and Haklay M 2000 Agent-based models and individualism: is the world agent-based? Environment and Planning A 32 1409-25

I'm also a little uncomfortable with the way that 'tribes' are made to emerge in Sugarscape using this cultural model -- since it presumes that tribes don't pre-exist individuals.  Of course they don't pre-exist individuals in the abstract, but they do pre-exist specific individuals.  This, of course gets us into rather murky 'emergence' debates about whether various collective phenomena (language, religion, culture etc) are merely 'aggregate' things, or whether they have meaningful existence in themselves.  For (much) more on that, see the CMOT paper I cited in a recent post, based on a discussion on this list back in Summer 2000.

David

Penn State Geography - GeoVISTA Center
University Park, PA 16802, USA