> these issues are not about the credibility of 'science' - they are about the credibility of commercial companies and the technology they wish the public to tolerate.

Let’s not forget that credibility is not an absolute characteristic. We are speaking of a particular community’s perception of whether science is, or is not a credible activity. Science is taking a battering and the public do not see ‘commercial companies who do science and technology’ as a separate category from ‘science’. If commercial science hurts a particular group of people, the public holds ‘science’ responsible. Arguing that this is not fair is, in my view, not a solution.

>I have no problem at all about the USES of science (=technology) being subject to decision by PR battles.

Technology is much more and much less than applied science. Gibbons (1992), Vincenti (1990) and Rosenberg (1994) explain this.

>To use an analogy, I have no problem with PR battles being used to decide whether or not to grant planning permission to build a new tower block, but would be alarmed if they were the means by the credibility of theories of structural engineering were assessed. I am not an engineer, but I would far rather live in a building built according to theories tested according to the arcane and rigorous processes used by engineers than by who could command the best Tabloid headlines.

Engineers used theories of structural engineering and ergonomics to design the car air bag. They did not listen to the PR and marketing people, who would have said, (if they had been asked) that women drive cars too. Designed around the ergonomics of male test dummies, car air bags worked exactly as they had been designed to do. But they killed women drivers at 15mph.

Listening to what the people say, not just what the engineers say, can give us better technologies. People who work with the public may give us tabloid headlines, I would argue that they can potentially lead us to better science, too. After all, sometimes it is the work that is not being done that is the problem with ‘science’ as a whole.

>I am afraid that I think that much of the trouble that has come the way of science is due to people persistently presenting technology (building factories, nuclear waste facilities etc) as 'science'. The OED defines science as "systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment" - there is nothing here about old oil rigs, fields of GM maize or xenotransplants;

Would giving these things a different label (‘technology’) really help? Or would it just shift the problem elsewhere ‘I’m alright mate, I do science. Give the funding cuts to the technologists’.

it defines technology as "the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes"- there is a clear difference.

Look further than the dictionary! The OED is wrong. While scientific theory sometimes guides the experimentation process, the precise design of an experiment, and the mapping of its results into a new product or process are activities that cannot be deduced from scientific theory. . . Science, at best, is of only limited assistance in determining the specificities of technological design. [Rosenberg]

Ask an engineer where the 70% comes from in engineering design with fatigue tests. The reply will not be about theory but practice.

Besides, the development of new technologies often gives rise to new scientific theory. How does the OED definition explain that?

>The second is very properly to be decided by political debate, partly because it cannot be decided by scientific criteria alone, but the credibility of science, even to the wider world, can rest soleley on its ability to be the best system for understanding the natural world.

Even if the science/technology split were helpful, this statement is missing the question: whose world are we talking about here?

Science as an activity is deeply embedded in the systems of this wider world. The work that is done reflects the interests of the powerful. The work that is not done is not abandoned by ‘scientific criteria alone’.

When we teach our medical students here, we are very careful to separate the scientific aspects of what can and cannot be done (decided soleley through rational consideration, observation and experiment)

This is the same rational consideration observation and experiment which told my sister that her interest in engineering was evidence of a hormonal imbalance? The same rational observation and experiment which led the engineers to use only male test dummies when designing car air bags?

We must admit that our values do enter into the evaluation of what we observe and what we do. Else how can we guard against it?

 and the ethical aspects of what should be done (decided by wider political considerations, ethics committees, public debate etc). By keeping the issues of science and uses of science separate, the credibility of science is not damaged by someone losing an argument about how they want to use it.

Sheldon photographed thousands of Harvard students to demonstrate that ‘a person’s body, measured an analysed, could tell much about intelligence, temperament, moral worth and probable future achievements’. Does this mean that the biologist’s work only became unethical when the accumulated data is used?

>Mathematics has managed to avoid these problems quite well. As far as I know, no pressure groups are "anti-maths" no matter how much their members may have hated the subject in school.

Marcus du Sautoy says that people resisted imaginary numbers for 200 years before accepting them.

This may be because nobody keeps encouraging them to confuse mathematics with the decision to use a mathematical principle to build a missile or an artificial heart.

He argues that Mathematicians and non-mathematicians resisted imaginary numbers because they could not exist, and that the political environment of the French Revolution created the social conditions that were necessary for this 200 year-old resistance to be overcome. Alternatively one might say that political decisions encouraged people to be confused enough to accept imaginary numbers. A stroke of luck for mathematicians, signal theory and microelectronics. . . !

>I have great respect for CB - but that debate was not about the credibilty of science, it was about whether scientists should have a legal right to experiment on animals.

One might also argue that it was a debate about values which required scientific knowledge   about whether the injury caused by animal testing was worth the gains produced by research. Only when public scientists stood up and said ’these are the benefits’ could this debate happen, because only scientists could say what the benefits were. No Blakemore, no dialogue.

Until Colin stood up, this debate did affect the public’s perception of the credibility of science. Until then, many people thought that scientists were people who did unnecessary animal experiments, and science was the activity which legitimised that. Because this was all they knew, because science kept itself to itself and appeared to like it that way.

>As you will have gathered, I fear that the conjunction of the S and T in PEST is the root of some of our problems....

I’m not convinced that we solve anything by calling everything controversial a technology. But we could change a great deal if we were to think differently about who we are.

At the moment, we see scientists as being in possession of knowledge, and ordinary people as people who need to be educated (PUS), talked with (PEST) or involved (democratic science). By involving ordinary people in science-related decision making, we can help create new knowledge in areas that have been hitherto neglected, areas that reflect the interests of minority groups who are excluded from science. By involving ordinary people in technological development, we ensure that the technologies of the future don’t just serve male test dummies – they serve us all.

By involving ordinary people in science and technology, we help ordinary scientists benefit from lay expertise. If we are designing an integrated transport system, we need the expertise of mothers and schoolchildren, the partially sighted and the commuter to make it work. We call this user-driven innovation.

Involving excluded communities in less ‘applied’ research might also bring benefits, as public involvement in basic research could influence the kind of work that is not being done. Take Helen O’Connell’s 1998 paper on female anatomy, for example. This was a research finding that could and should have been made many, many decades earlier.

If I were the top bod in a Research Council, I would bang on about what I say in my research, which is that public involvement both influences - and is influenced by - the impact of science and technology on different communities in the UK (and world-wide). Systems of innovation both mediate, and are mediated.

If we want the public to support our work, we need to:

- fund completely independent (‘no strings’) research

- fund scientists to do public engagement work,

- support science-media links

- involve people in S&T decision making (yes that includes policy too).

We might have to change a few things along the way. But if the alternative is dwindling support and continuing distrust, would that be so terrible?

Best wishes

Jenny Gristock

1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk ********************************************************************** **********************************************************************