Mon 13 Oct, 7pm

Hunger-busters or Frankenstein foods?

Despite crop trials, a major public consultation and numerous enquiries, advocates and detractors of GM crops share no common ground and there is a general loss of trust. Could they help solve malnutrition? Might they be detrimental to human health? Is the rejection of GM a nostalgic longing for traditional farming methods? What regulatory procedures might make the sceptics happy? Is the fear really that of corporate power? Should we call a halt until we know more? Speakers: Colin Tudge, visiting research fellow at the Centre of Philosophy and the LSE, whose latest book is So Shall we Reap; Andrew Stirling, works on technology and risk at Sussex University, and is on the government’s GM Science Review Panel; Paul Rylott, deputy chairman of the Agricultural Biotechnology Council; and Ingo Potrykus, formerly professor at the Institute of Plant Sciences, Zurich, where he researched gene technology for developing countries, currently president of the international Humanitarian Golden Rice Board. In the chair: Shereen El Feki, science and business correspondent at The Economist.

£8, £7concs. £6 ICA members

TICKETS AND INFORMATION: 0207 930 3647

1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com