Café Scientifique at the ICA
Tues Sept 30th, 7pm

Virulent Strain: Sars, ‘Flu and the Next Pandemic

The world had a close shave this spring when a new virus emerged, hitting
32 countries, killing over 800 people and leaving behind it panic and whole
populations hiding behind face masks. We were lucky that it was Sars and
not influenza. What is it about the influenza virus which makes it so
devastating, able to sweep the world wreaking destruction – and why was the
Sars virus so relatively easily defeated? How are we preparing ourselves to
combat the next pandemic? Is there anything we can do in the face of a
virulently infectious virus? Could Sars re-emerge? And how – and why – do
viruses jump from one animal to another?

Tonight’s speaker is John Oxford, professor of virology of international
renown, working at St. Bartholomew's and The Royal London School of
Medicine and Dentistry. His research focuses on the genes responsible for
influenza, HIV and other viruses, and he has co-authored over 250
scientific papers as well as being regularly featured in the national and
international press. In the chair is Daniel Glaser, neuroscientist at UCL.
TICKETS AND INFORMATION:  www.cafescientifique.org  0207 930 3647

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk