-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on the public understanding of science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kat Arney
Sent: 07 July 2003 14:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Help needed- tunnelling out of academia

Hello, I'm new to the list and hope someone can help me.

I'm currently a post-doc researcher but gradually trying to tunnel out of an
academic life and break into writing/PEST/policy over the next year.  To
this end, I'm currently doing a bit of freelance writing and getting
involved in a regional BBC science radio show.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of other things I could get involved
in to get more experience on my CV, or if anyone else had made a similar
break-out and how they went about it.

Finally, I have a great academic CV, but am painfully aware it makes a dire
read from an "outside" point of view. I have tried to rejig it to make it
more media-savvy but if anyone would volunteer to have a look at it and
advise me (off-list) just reply to me ([log in to unmask]) and I'll
send it to you.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Kat

"I have not failed, I have merely found 10,000 ways which do not work"
Thomas Edison

1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an
email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
archive, can be found at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
science and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk