I'm forwarding this message to the list as it was intercepted by the Jiscmail software as possible spam.  Sorry, Ken!
Louise

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Okona-Mensah [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 March 2003 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wrexham sciBAr: Trading faces - a question of identity? Weds 26 March 2003

Trading  faces: a question of identity?
Face transplants will soon become available, offering people with severe facial disfigurements greater confidence and the chance to lead a more inconspicuous life. However, if, as is claimed, the face is the essence of our identity, to what extent would acquiring another person's face affect how we perceive ourselves? Which factors are significant to one's identity and concept of self? Would a face transplant help boost your self-image or would you feel like an impostor? Is this merely a facet of society's obsession for the 'perfect' look?
Join Marc Crank, Chief Officer of Disability Solutions and Mick Emerson, health psychologist from the University of West of England, Bristol to discuss how strongly our faces identify us as individuals and why, as a nation, we focus more on improving the way we look than on improving the way we feel.

Making its first appearance at Wrexham Science Festival sciBArs are open to everyone and are free, except for what you choose to spend on drink and food.  Air your views or just listen to those of others - it's a traditional British 'pub debate', but on a larger scale.

Time:              7.30 pm