-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on the public understanding of science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jen Gristock
Sent: 31 October 2003 18:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] advice for degree course?

Wendy,

One possibility is the Sussex BSc in Human Sciences which includes aspects
of health, philosophy, politics and communication.

Sussex claims that "behind and informing the Human Sciences degree is the
question: what is the relationship between the biological and social
existence of human beings, between nature and culture?" and that the degree
subject is "not a subject or a discipline in the traditional sense, but an
opportunity to engage in interdisciplinary work that transcends the
arbitrary division between the 'arts' and the 'sciences'
and involves the study of aspects of a number of disciplines in relation to
a central problem."

The blurb
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/publications/ugrad2004/humansciences.html

The syllabus:
http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/teaching/biology/deg/prg/hums.php

I did not take this degree myself, but I have friends who did, and who speak
highly of it. BIOLS at Sussex has a good reputation.

Best wishes to you and your friend

Jen

> I am after some advice for a friend who recently began a course in
> Medicine, but found that the course was completely geared to becoming
> a GP which is not what she wants to do. She is interested in:
>
> journalism
> sciences
> health
> politics
> philosophy
>
> She took all the sciences and English at A level and got 3 A's and a
> B.
> There are plenty of postgraduate degrees I can find details of, but
> can anyone recommend a good first degree that will allow her to study
> health promotion or medical science but with some modules on
> communication?
>
> I've suggested she looks at psci-com and absw sites, but they do seem
> to focus on postgrad courses.

Dr Jen Gristock

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
message:

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
archive,
can be found at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk