Wendy,

One possibility is the Sussex BSc in Human Sciences which includes
aspects of health, philosophy, politics and communication.

Sussex claims that "behind and informing the Human Sciences degree is
the question: what is the relationship between the biological and social
existence of human beings, between nature and culture?" and that the
degree subject is "not a subject or a discipline in the traditional
sense, but an opportunity to engage in interdisciplinary work that
transcends the arbitrary division between the 'arts' and the 'sciences'
and involves the study of aspects of a number of disciplines in relation
to a central problem."

The blurb
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/publications/ugrad2004/humansciences.html

The syllabus:
http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/teaching/biology/deg/prg/hums.php

I did not take this degree myself, but I have friends who did, and who
speak highly of it. BIOLS at Sussex has a good reputation.

Best wishes to you and your friend

Jen

> I am after some advice for a friend who recently began a course in
> Medicine, but found that the course was completely geared to
> becoming a
> GP which is not what she wants to do. She is interested in:
>
> journalism
> sciences
> health
> politics
> philosophy
>
> She took all the sciences and English at A level and got 3
> A's and a B.
> There are plenty of postgraduate degrees I can find details
> of, but can
> anyone recommend a good first degree that will allow her to
> study health
> promotion or medical science but with some modules on communication?
>
> I've suggested she looks at psci-com and absw sites, but they
> do seem to
> focus on postgrad courses.

Dr Jen Gristock

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk