i have just looked through this article and am, at the
moment, too tired and dispirited to be bothered to respond.
not too long ago, a posting like this would have caused an
exciting little flurry of exchanges.  none of them changed
the world, but at least we had a chance to sharpen our
faculties on something substantive.

i have spent quite a bit of time in schools recently;
talking to pupils and teachers about the issues touched on
(danced over?) in this article.  there are some very
profound issues at stake here, and it seems to me that we
may be seeing the first really concentrated conflict
between the pre and post jenkin report paradigms breaking
out.  im sure that many people on this list have stronger
views than mine on this issue, and are better positioned to
make the arguments either way.

i hope that some of those individuals will start posting in
the wake of this piece.  the innovation in science
education being considered here is nothing less than an
attempt to redefine (or possibly clarify?) the relationship
between science as a set of corporate practices and its
audiences. (i use the words corporate and audience in their
broadest possible sense - look them up if you're not sure).
this is not some trivial tinkering with the system, and in
a national curriculum driven environment may have some
profound consequences.

what do we think about this?  are we surprised? delighted?
depressed?  i would really like to hear from the list on
this one.

Ben Johnson
Graphic Science
Faculty of Applied Sciences
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol
BS16 1QY

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone +44 (0)117 344 3756
Mobile 07813 580 397
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/fas/graphicscience

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk